Monday, September 12, 2011

It's a Dog's Life


This post was going to be about relaxation and making sure that no matter what everyone always has some selfish time but I looked at the photo and felt happy and sad.

Happy because Loki will always make Hubby and I smile no matter what, I feel like we're always randomly pointing out something silly he's doing and laughing about it (such as the above where he'd fallen into the back of the chair but was still chillin'). Sad because he has no idea what November is going to bring!

I think he will cope ok with the new addition but it will be sad to lose him as 'our baby'. Now if you're not a pet person you probably think I've gone a little cuckoo but trust me pets weasel their way into your hearts until you'd wind up doing anything *cough* including spending mass amounts of money to fix ligaments...thank you Bella *cough* for them.

Hubby was never a pet person until he met me, he didn't really have anything against animals they'd just never played a big part in his life. Cut to over six years ago and he became entwined with me and at that point my one dog. Fast forward to now and he's experienced raising a puppy with another dog whilst housesitting for my family when we were in New Zealand (fresh into our relationship so I knew he was a keeper); dragging a full grown Golden Retriever over a fence after she escaped at Dad's place; looking after an old dog in a plaster cast; watching Marley and Me with 3 grown women bawling their eyes out; and going to 'just' look at puppies and coming home with a dog of his own. He knows that our Christmas tradition will always start with a visit to the dog beach (I cannot wait for this year with Pecan) and that you can teach a puppy to go 'toilet' pretty much on command (this is a lifesaver and I highly recommend doing it!).

So Loki has been insanely spoilt, his toys are strewn around the house and his eyes lit up when he caught sight of an elephant I bought Pecan! Part of me knows he will be ok but there will be some major adjusting for all of us to do. For starters he will have to stop having 'little dog syndrome' and realise that being bossy is not on. He makes it well known that he doesn't like being woken up at odd hours so there's another big adjustment for him as well! I hope it gets balanced out by the fact that I'll be at home a lot more and that he will have more toys (I've resigned myself to the fact that Pecan will lose that war!) I just hope that his jealousy issues are placated by the good things that will come out of all this.

I'm hoping that he will love Pecan just as much as we will and that he'll guard him/her with his life. If everything goes well we know he'll be the perfect dog for our child's 'first' dog and if anything goes wrong hopefully it won't be too drastic and he'll quickly learn his lessons.

1 comment:

  1. I know what you mean by this. My two dogs are my life right now and it will be really difficult if that ever changes. Of course you have to put your child first, but how do you do that without feeling guilty that your neglecting your pets?

    ReplyDelete