Sunday, October 10, 2010

Dinner, Birthdays and Cake

This weekend has been both eventful and un-eventful.

It started with a visit to what used to be one of our favourite restaurants - The Mussel Bar in Fremantle. It must've been on everyone's to do list that night because it was super busy. But thankfully we got a better table than last night and were seated at a window overlooking some awesome old boats. Even though it was a fantastic dinner foodwise it was a great date night with my Hubby.

We started off by ordering their seafood tasting plate to share and 6 oysters. I will only eat oysters if they are tempura and I was so happy to find tempura oysters with pineapple salsa on the menu - they were YUMMY! I also really enjoyed the softshell crab and the sushi but other than that the remainder of the tasting plate was a little ho-hum. I'd also been trying to decide if I should order the yummy white wine mussels I did last time or if I should go with something different. I decided not to be a risk taker and go with mussels because I love them! Unfortunately I wish I'd taken the risk...they were WAY too salty and just tasted yuck. I should've sent them back but the place was so busy. Then we decided to order dessert and I chose the passionfruit brulee. We were busy chatting but the Mr kept looking at his watch and finally admitted we'd been waiting for 30 minutes and still no food (I'd lost track of time). He told our waitress who said she'd go check and it should be out soon...after another 15 minutes she came back and we asked them to cancel it because it still hadn't even been made!

Very disappointed and I wish I'd had the guts to say how unhappy I was with my main meal as well - they didn't even offer us a discount or anything, just a sorry hope we see you again! Sadly they won't not, it just wasn't worth the $100+ we both paid. (Hopefully it was just because it was so busy because our first dinner there was amazing!)

But other than the waiting and not so good food it was great. We talked heaps, held hands like teenagers on a first date and stared out into harbour. We talked about baby names and I advised him he had 5 veto rights (similar to that Friends episode hehe) and how because of our surname we definitely could not have a child named after a food or adjective :p

Saturday we were celebrating my uni friend's birthday and went out to Elmars in the Swan Valley. Needless to say too much wine (not enough food) and sitting in the sun did not a good Jess make. The poor husband he always looks after me when I get like this. I declared that my friend's last day as 23 was my last day drinking like a teenager! I just can't do it anymore, I lose the next 24-48 hours.

We then had my friend who has just been to South Africa (I definitely want to go there now!) come over and show her photos and video of her bungy jumping - VERY JEALOUS! I finally christened our Kitchen Aid (wedding gift from the in-laws) by baking a Cinnamon Tea Cake (yummy both boys went back for seconds). I must admit it is so easy to use, even if I didn't follow the recipe properly (stuff folding in sifted flour in between putting in the milk!).

So now I'm relaxing in front of the telly after doing the dishes (I felt I owed hubby something), stuck watching Top Gear because the Mr loves it. It would be Keeping up with the Kardashians but the dvd broke - too many sad sad housewifes renting it.

Life is good :)

No comments:

Post a Comment